Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Have You Ever Tried Paintball?

 My middle child turned 14 this past weekend. On the one hand, it's cool that the school gives everyone the whole week off to celebrate (okay, maybe it's also Presidents Day and school vacation week, but we like to think of it as just for him) .... but on the other hand, most of his friends always have plans to be away. Thus no big party.

But small parties can be fun, too.

This year, he invited a few friends to go play paintball for the afternoon.
 Oh. My. God.

Have you tried this? The guns. The noise. The adrenaline. My husband and I, and our other two kids, also played along. You can see from this picture that no one took it easy on the oldsters.

It was indoor paintball, in an old converted warehouse. There were two fields of play - we played on both, taking turns with the other people there to spend their vacation day.

Getting hit in the face was the worst. One of my son's friends was particularly good at shooting people in the face mask. Sometimes it went right through the vents...

The kids had a blast. My husband had a blast. Me? I'm undecided about whether I'd ever want to play again... but it was a great way to spend the afternoon, and a great way to celebrate a birthday.

7 comments:

  1. Seems like fun, altho' I hear it hurts when you get hit with the paintball. Not so sure I'd like that part...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a blast! We've only been to laser tag events and enjoyed that as a family. This looks a bit more intense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does hurt when you get hit, no question, and my daughter has a few significant bruises on her arms (and one on her throat - get the throat protector!)

    We'd done lazer tag before too, and this was more intense - partly because of the pain (lazers don't hurt) but also the adrenaline rush part of it... the boys loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did this one year for our son's birthday party. Boys love it!! Great choice! Our boys also got into pellet guns quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried it. Of course, my boys are still under 8. I heard those can leave bruises. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, Susan, bruises! My daughter got hit in the neck with one of the shots... marked all week! Most of the shots I took were glancing blows - they hurt, but no marks. Except the one on my shin - ouch and bruise!

    At 8, I'd stick with the lazer tag as long as possible! No bruises ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've done laser tag, which was a fun afternoon with no mess and no bruises. I like the no mess part a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?