Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Writing Wednesday: What's with the SPAM?

Is this happening to anyone else?

In the last few weeks, there's been a marked increase in the amount of spam comments I've been getting on the blogs that I work with. I mean, last night, I had a flurry of activity on an old post where the anonymous commenter was just Out. Of. Control.

I really hate it when blogs have security words that you have to type in, but I may have to resort to that soon.

The worst spammers also attach live links in their comments to take the readers to a different website. Maybe these are harmless, but maybe not. I would hate for any of my readers to end up with nasty viruses...

I've posted warnings on the other two blogs I work on that Anonymous comments will be deleted. I felt I needed to say that in advance, because some of the "real" commenters always post as "Anonymous" anyway, and then sign their names in the comment.

Any advice?

11 comments:

  1. I no longer allow anonymous comments. And I don't use word verification anymore because Google has mucked it up, making it too difficult to read.

    But I did, briefly go back to anonymous and then got hit with a ton of spam. Back to no anonymous, and no problems since.

    Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: But I do continue to block people from joining my blog. Like that encourage each other group that's on yours. To me, they are just their for themselves and I have no interest.

    I've blocked other weirdos as well. I spare you the gory details about what they blogged about, but again, I had no interest. So blocked, they were.

    Again, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There for themselves to promote their company. With no interest in participating in other blogs.

      Duh, I spelled there wrong. And that makes three comments from me. Best get to the laundry that's stacking up, even as I type.

      Cheers and boogie boogie.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the advice - I agree about the verification words being harder to read now than they used to be - I hate that!

      I may resort to blocking all anonymous soon, too. *sigh* why can't people just do the right thing?

      Delete
    3. I dunno. It's just dumb to me.
      And then I see some bloggers
      will keep the spam comments on
      their posts.

      I don't get that either.

      Delete
  3. I check my comments every day for Anon comments and delete any I see. The ones I remove always have ads at the end. I warned one guy who posted a couple of those, and then his computer went off the grid. The sooner you delete them, the better. If someone persists in using anon, then that's the fallout. Delete.

    I have 'comment approval' on my comments, too and that helps. There have been more in the last few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it's not just me and my little ol' blog. I'm feeling like I got flagged somehow because I don't use the word verification program. Ugh! I turned on "comment moderation" so we'll see how it goes.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to hear it isn't just me. I've been getting a lot of them lately. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too. I didn't realize they could be a threat though. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Katie, Just noticed you write for EC Blush. Nice to meet a fellow Blush author:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't use the word verification program. Ugh! I turned how do you stop spam on "comment moderation" so we'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?