Wednesday, May 18, 2011

One of the Coolest Places on Cape Cod: Hidden Hollow

Last weekend, my Girl Scout troop spent a "Night at the Museum" - literally.

Each spring, there's a gathering of scouts at The Heritage Gardens and Museum to work on badges and craft projects, roast marshmellows in the moonlight, ride the antique carousel at midnight... and sleep over, this year next to the antique cars and vintage motorcycles.

The highlight of this year's sleepover - for me at least, since I don't ride carousels anymore - was getting to visit the new Hidden Hollow. Oh. My. God. I'm in love.

Last spring, I talked with the program director about her plans for this area. She even wrote an article about it for our Summer 2010 Issue of CapeWomenOnline magazine. All spring and summer, she worked with various volunteers from local tech schools, Americorp, and landscape designers who volunteered their time and efforts. The results are enchanting, to say the very least.

Each area is conected by wooden pathways. Signs are woodburned into split logs. You can see that the treehouse is still under contruction, but looks like it will be Spectacular. My girls are technically "above" this kind of play, but they dove right in - all of them - and played with the water features and sand areas, they built structures with the wooden vines, they hung canopies in the rhododendron forest, they put on skits on the stage, using the basket of animal costumes... they had a blast.

Blogger is acting wonky again this morning, so I'll try to upload more photos tomorrow, or maybe later in the day.
Hidden Hollow at the Heritage Museum. Check it out. Tell them a Girl Scout sent you.

What's the coolest thing you've discovered this spring?

3 comments:

  1. This looks really cool!

    I haven't discovered anything cool this spring yet as it never seems to stop raining, but I'm hoping that will stop soon as I'm looking forward to doing some exploring.

    I'll look forward to seeing more pics of the Hollow if Blogger cooperates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like something I'd love to explore. That's a big group of Girl Scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only 4 of the Scouts are mine - there were girls from all over Massachusetts, which was fun for them to all hang out and get to know each other. My troop exchanged phone numbers with girls from other troops at the end. The Auto Museum was stuffed with sleeping bags amidst the model Ts...

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?