Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Beach Day

Cape Cod Weather Today: Blue Skies but still a little chilly at 58 degrees (I have on long sleeves.) Should be warming into the 70s today, but the breeze feels good.

I went to the beach yesterday.

As in, I did the tourist thing, and packed a picnic and towels and sunscreen and boogie boards and kids, and went to sit on a different beach - half an hour away - with friends from out of town.

And I wore a bathing suit, on purpose, and without crying (too much.) And I actually went in the ocean.

Okay, I didn't mean to really go swimming, but we were wading in the shallows and a splash fight started... and someone used Mom as a shield... so I ended up soaked. And it was fun.

Living on Cape Cod all the time, I take the ocean for granted. I walk the dogs on the beach almost every day. We were on the beach Saturday morning for an hour digging holes for the new sign posts to keep people off the dunes. I walk up at twilight with my husband while he throws a lure in the water as we stroll along the shore at sunset. I mean, I'm there every day.

But I don't sit down and enjoy it.

It must be like the people who live in D.C., and never go to the National Zoo, or visit the Smithsonian except for school field trips. Or live in NYC and never take the elevator to the top of the Empire State Building. Or live in Boston yet don't know what the I.C.A. stands for. (Institute of Contemporary Art, for those of you wondering. My sister works there, btw.)

Take a minute to think about where you live. What is it that tourists love to do when they visit your area? Have you ever been there? Done that? Taken the time to enjoy what's in your own backyard?

There's been a lot of talk lately about "STAY-cations" - - it's the new buzzword for summer '09. But there really is a lot to be said for the concept of vacationing in your own backyard. Which is why it's fun to have out-of-town guests, who make you do these things and see your town from fresh eyes. And actually sit on the beach and get sand in your bathing suit.

Tomorrow we're gonna get in line with the tourists again and go ride the bumper boats! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. At least you live in a place where people want to come visit. No one ever wants to go to Kansas....

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?