Monday, November 9, 2009

NaNo No No

I feel like I'm headed for an epic fail for the NaNoWriMo challenge. After breaking out of the gate really strong, I've stumbled, and am having trouble regaining my momentum.

I haven't even opened my novel document today. Not once. Big no no.

I sat down to write last night, thinking I knew what I wanted my characters to say and do. They wouldn't behave. They insisted on saying things that took me down a path I couldn't get off... so I quit and went to bed. It was midnight anyway, so that was probably a good thing.

But now I don't want to go back there, to the scene I don't know how to end.

I've been defending the concept of NaNo on other blogs for the last week (only during my sanctioned procrastination times, of course) But the weekend started to make me wonder if I was going to be able to finish the challenge. November is a busy month. On the outside of things, it seems as if it should be quiet. In reality, Not so much.

I'm not going to quit. I'm 17,000 words into a story that I didn't have written before. I'm excited to be writing a new storyline. But I like to excel, and I'm not sure I'll be able to.

I know the NaNo "pep talk emails" warn of this part of the month, where you beat yourself up and feel like you're the only one destined to fail. I need to get through this and back to the part where my fingers fly across the keyboard with minds and dialogue of their own. And I need to do it before Thanksgiving break gets going...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?