Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What I'm Thankful For...


Thanksgiving morning 2008, cooking up fun in the kitchen


When we think about Thanksgiving as a holiday, we tend to think Turkey, Stuffing, and Cranberry Sauce. But the original meaning of the holiday was for the Pilgrims to literally Give Thanks for surviving a long hard year in the New World. They were giving their thanks to God and Mother Earth for providing an abundant harvest and letting them live to see another year.

When I count my blessings tomorrow at the Thanksgiving table, my family will be at the top of my list. My mom and dad and sisters, who traveled to visit us last November to celebrate the holiday, as well as my husband's family, who we'll be traveling to visit with tomorrow. My kids have lots of aunts and uncles who love them, and a fun bunch of cousins to play with. They have grandparents who dote on them as well as get silly with them (note the holiday mustache on my daughter in the photo...)

It's been a tough year for a lot of people. Downsizing, economic woes, stock market fluctuations, the ongoing war efforts, health issues and insurance tangles, bad grades on last week's report cards... but even with all the bad in the world, we still need to make time to smile. To be thankful for those things that are good in our lives.

What are you most thankful for? Take a moment to think about what really matters to you this year. And give thanks for whatever it is that makes you smile.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?