Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Writing Wednesday: Chatting with debut author, Christy Effinger #TWRP



Today I'm happy to have Christy Effinger as my guest. Her first book was just published this summer by The Wild Rose Press, a New Adult paranormal thriller. I'll post my review of Christy's book on Friday, but right now please welcome Christy.

Hi, Christy! Give a brief bio and tell us what kind of books you like to read and write.

I live near Indianapolis with my husband and baby daughter. My poetry, fiction, and essays have appeared in various print and online publications. I enjoy reading all kinds of books, from literary classics to commercial fiction. My paranormal new adult novel Say Nothing of What You See was published by The Wild Rose Press in August 2014. 

What's your favorite part of being an author?

I love the duality of writing. It’s a process of creation, but also a process of discovery. Writing has taught me to be more observant of the world and human behavior. I’m still honing this skill. My goal is to be a person who notices everything. 

Why New Adult?

I wrote Say Nothing in my twenties, so it seemed natural to focus on a young protagonist who was struggling to find herself against a backdrop of darkness and deception.

If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why?

Someone asked this in another interview and I said flying. Now I’m going to give a different answer. I’d like to be able to live without sleep. Just imagine what I could accomplish if I wrote all night while everyone else slept. Talk about no distractions!

LOL, I've never heard of that as a superpower, but I would have to agree it would be pretty cool! Tell us about your latest release!


When her aunt steps off a grain elevator into the emptiness of a prairie evening, Mira Piper loses her one protector. Chloe, her flighty mother, impulsively drags her daughter to Bramblewood, an isolated spiritualist retreat in northern Michigan, run by the enigmatic Dr. Virgil Simon.

Chloe plans to train as a medium but it's Mira who discovers she can communicate with the dead. When her mother abandons her, Mira discovers a darker aspect to Bramblewood: the seemingly kind doctor has a sinister side and a strange control over his students.

Then one winter's day Troy Farrington arrives, to fulfill his mother's dying wish and deliver her letter to the doctor. But calamity strikes and he finds himself a captive, tended by a sympathetic Mira. Haunted by her dead aunt and desperate to escape Bramblewood, Mira makes a devil's deal with Dr. Simon. But fulfillment comes with a steep cost...betrayal.


Okay, you’re casting the movie version of your novel. Help us see how you visualize your characters - We’re talking dream cast!

I think Saoirse Ronan would make a great Mira. For Troy, maybe someone like Liam Hemsworth. And for Dr. Simon, I have no idea. I’m going to leave that up to the readers!   

I love Liam Hemsworth! He'd be a great Troy! Maybe someone like Alan Rickman for the enigmatic doctor...
 
Where can readers find your book and where can they find you online?

Links to buy book:

The Wild Rose Press:

  
Amazon:


BN.com



Author Links:








Thanks for visiting today, Christy! 

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me on your blog, Katie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being my guest, Christy! Enjoyed your book and wish you much success!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your debut with TWRP! All best wishes for a successful book release. And...great cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashantay. Diana Carlile was the cover artist.

      Delete
  3. Great interview, Christy. Oh, what I wouldn't give to go without sleep. In truth, I probably would still complain there wasn't enough hours in a day. All the best with your new release! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Christy. I like your comment about being observant of the world around you. That is one characteristic many creative people have. I love to check out people in restaurants and eavesdrop on their conversations. My husband thinks I'm weird! Good luck with "Say Nothing of What You See."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Judy, I call people watching and eavesdropping "research." ;)

      Delete
  5. Woohoo! 2 of my favorite roses in one place?!? Awesome! Loved the interview. It made me smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks, J.C. Glad you could come visit us.

      Delete
  6. My fantasy is not needing sleep, too! I could write all night! Best of luck with "Say Nothing of What You See".

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?