Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Writing Wednesday: Darkness and Hope in Young Adult novels


I've been writing and querying for ten years now. TEN. Wow, that's a long time. Yes, I've had other jobs at the same time (magazine editor, substitute teacher, technical writer...) but my point being, I sent my first queries to actual agents 10 years ago.

And was told that my MG/YA stories were just too dark.

Then along came Twilight.
And Hunger Games.
Divergent.
Maze Runner.
Uglies.

And publishers realized that yes, teens read dark, apocalyptic stuff too. Like they didn't know teens in the 70s and 80s were the ones gobbling up Stephen King and V.C. Andrews. Like Catcher in the Rye and Lord of the Flies and The Outsiders were as happy and sunshine-y as Anne of Green Gables.

Some of these books are obviously darker than others. But there are threads through each that appeal to teens and adults alike. Ordinary people battling against the darkness. The idea of not giving up. Of holding onto hope in the darkness.

Watching the news these days, we need more of that. More threads of hope to hold onto.

But I'm going to repeat, this isn't new. Holden Caufield may have been battling inner demons instead of vampires or aliens, but he had to battle his way out of the darkness and back to the light. Pony Boy fought against the same class-ism that still exists today all over our country and our world between the rich and the poor. The haves and the have-nots.

Today's teens may feel even less in control of the world than teens of the 60s, 70s and 80s, so the stakes in current YA have been raised. I just re-read a marvelous trilogy retelling of the Robin Hood tale by A.C. Gaughen, who I met last summer on a book panel. She writes a strong female narrator who's forced to masquerade as a boy for a lot of the series. It starts with SCARLET. Talk about having no control of your world or destiny - England in the 1100 and 1200s was not a place to be poor. And yet the characters held onto that thread of hope throughout.


As YA authors, we have a duty to be authentic, but to also offer that thread of hope. To give examples of how yes, bad things happen, but good can persevere. That evil men may claim power and positions of authority, but the people can - and should - resist. Fight back. Stay true to what they believe.

I don't think it's the darkness that's too dark. I think it's the light that needs to shine more brightly.

Now, whether you write YA or not, tell us one of your favorite books you read as a teen. And why.


9 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog, Katie and very insightful. So true, the skeletons have ALWAYS been there, they just used to be hidden. And we, collectively, have a tool we should use more often--the power to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and chiming in, Amity. Yes, I agree that authors do have the power to comment on what we see in the world, and the power to offer insight and hope.

      Delete
  2. I didn't have books growing up. They were considered an unnecessary extravagance. Unfortunately, so was school. One sister and I took care of the house, yard work and younger children. We also worked jobs as soon as we could get work permits, which was at fourteen-years-old, back then.
    I started reading when I was twenty and had my first child. I never stopped. I started by reading Gone With The Wind in two days. I made sure my kids had all the books they wanted. As teens, they preferred the dark ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I'm so sorry to hear you weren't able to discover reading until later. And so glad you made sure your own kids were readers.

      Gone with the Wind was a pretty great way to start.

      Delete
  3. Great post Katie! I was a voracious reader. I loved all kinds of books, but especially ones that offered an escape from everyday life. I always liked gothic style classics like Wuthering Heights. As for light/dark--one of my favorite yoga teachers says that we're all born with a 100 watt bulb inside. Life, choices, family, etc. can obscure that light so we don't shine so bright. We can always polish off those shadows and rediscover the light--it's always there. Claire Marti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that imagery, Claire. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Great post Katie! I read a ton of books as a kid, especially loved VC Andrews, Trixie Beldon and Nancy Drew, along with anything to do about King Author. So many of them I can't remember the title but can remember books scenes. :) You are correct, the light of hope needs to shine more brightly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I so loved King Arthur stories. From Twain's Connecticut Yankee to White's Once and Future King... You should totally read the Scarlet trilogy I reference in this post.

      Delete
  5. Great post, Katie! I read a TON of "dark" novels as a teen...not just the VC Andrews and SK (both of which I loved), but fiction involving anorexia, drug use (Go Ask Alice, anyone?), mental illness, etc. The theme of overcoming (or trying to overcome) darkness is compelling.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?