Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Writing Wednesday: Gathering Reviews

You've finished your manuscript, edited it to within an inch of its life, polished and preened it to perfection, found a publisher, gone through the process all over again with your assigned editor, approved your cover art and blurb, waited for what seems like eons for that release date to finally arrive, accepted the heartfelt congratulations of friends, family, and Facebook... and...

Why aren't there more reviews on the Amazon page for your book?

All those friends and family members who told you they couldn't wait to read it... did they hate your book baby?

Phone calls and Facebook posts are great - but it's the actual online reviews that get your book noticed beyond your own circle, and launched into the Amazon algorithms that may help it succeed.

My mother-in-law called me several weeks back. She'd finally read the copy of GHOSTS DON'T LIE that she'd bought and downloaded onto her Kindle. She called to tell me how much she really loved it, but that she wasn't going to leave a review on Amazon - even though it was a verified purchase - because it was "just too hard to figure out their system."

Who else has heard that from a friend or relative?

Here's another good one. My father's new wife read my books (my dad has all the signed copies I've given him and mom over the years) but then she asked me at Christmas why I didn't have more reviews for them on Amazon. "You're a good writer, why don't more people leave reviews?"

Did she leave any reviews? No. Why? She didn't buy them on Amazon, she read my dad's copies.

Does that mean people who come to our book signings and events, who buy signed books from us in person... they don't think they're "allowed" to leave reviews on Amazon because it's not a "verified purchase"?

Untrue.

You can leave reviews on Amazon for books you bought direct from the publisher, or paperbacks you bought at your local bookstore. Or ARCs you've been gifted from the author or won in a contest. If you've read the book, you can leave a review on Amazon. They've become the defacto review site, whether they like it or not.

So how do we as authors get more people to leave reviews? To understand it's not supposed to be a time consuming process or an eight page book report. It's choosing a number of stars, and a short reason why you liked the book - or didn't like it, as the case may be.

How pushy would it be for us as authors to follow up with readers who won books from us and ask again for a review? How pushy is it to email those friends and family when they send that note of praise and say, "So glad you liked it - can you leave a review on Amazon too?"

Obviously, I'm not very good at it. As my father's wife points out, I don't have overwhelming numbers in my review column. So I'm asking for input here - what's your strategy?

How do you go about turning readers into reviewers?




13 comments:

  1. I was talking with some friends about this the other night. They both agreed they don't like Amazon's review system, so they don't like to leave reviews. They hate having to go through all the clicks about characters, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and I get it, but it seems they had to do something about the fake reviews people were posting. Unfortunately they made it hard for technophobes like my m-i-l to post anything at all...

      Delete
  2. I regularly put out reminders on social media about how important reviews are to an author and that it only has to be a line or two. It's a generic "Did you know..." meme. Most people don't realize the impact a review can have or they think they have to write paragraphs. Most authors have this struggle...and of course, we only want good reviews ;) Good post. I'd be interested if anyone has a successful tactic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few of my friends and family said they followed the review procedure at the end of my book on kindle and left reviews...but I've never seen them posted to Amazon. Has anybody else experienced this?
    Katie, I'm also struggling to get friends and family to leave reviews. I ask, they promise, and nothing happens. It's upsetting. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to leave reviews through the after-book app once or twice, and they never posted. And then of course I never went back to post another review because, well, I already spent my time writing that other one. So yeah, I see where that app does more harm than good!

      Delete
  4. Another great blog post. As my debut just came out less than a month ago, I'm right in the trenches with this one. I did send out ARC copies to people prior to the release with the solemn promise of a review on release day. I had to follow up 3-4x to get those up. I made a list of all the friends and family who bought my book, who said they bought my book, and who came to my launch party. I am individually reaching out to each one asking them again. Yes, I'm a pest. I emphasized that all they had to do was choose the stars and leave one or two lines. I explained about the Amazon algorithms and such. I also made a new banner and meme for my social media pages with Amazon reviews on it--hint hint! As of last night, I was at 29 reviews and if everyone who promised to review it does so, I should be close to 50 in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed. Also, I put the book up on NetGalley through TWRP and got a few that way. Some readers I don't know also reviewed the book (very exciting!) That's my story...I think if your friends/family understand fully it can help. xo Claire Marti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Claire! I wish I could be as persistent!

      Delete
  5. Fascinating post. I also struggle with receiving reviews from friends and family. I'm not sure what it is. There was an article out a few months ago that said Amazon would 'punish' authors who had friends and family write reviews. I know it's crazy, but some people believe this. Or is it crazy? Claire makes good points. I guess we have to be pushy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I've read similar articles, as well as the ones that tell authors they can't post reviews of other authors. WHich is ridiculous. Most authors are also readers, right? I know I am. I have just as much right to my opinion - and my review - as the next reader. Don't let the negativity scare you away from leaving a review, or asking your friends to leave theirs!

      Delete
  6. Great post and so true! Reviews are tough to get. I put a reminder in my quarterly newsletter, post cute Meme's on FB and Twitter reminding people to review and suggesting it only takes click the stars and one sentence. Still... very few. I sent out lots of ARC's with each new book and hope for the best. I think it has to do with how busy everyone is and fear of the unknown. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Claire makes some good points.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and comments. Whatever route one takes to try to obtain reviews it is time consuming and certainly takes away from time spent learning about craft, writing the next story and other real life issues. I just need more than 24 hours in the day and everything will be fine. 😄

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I don't get many reviews either but I'm also bad about following up with people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My most supportive readers don't 'do' Amazon. Sure would like to know how to motivate the ones who use Amazon to write reviews, too! It isn't really that difficult, but does take a few minutes of time, which none of us have enough of, alas.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?