Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Writing Wednesday: When Life Gets in the Way

I had plans for this week. Big plans.

I have a beta reader all lined up for my next romance, and last week I cruised along - only a few thousand words and the last day of the adventure to write in a frenzy and hit send to my critique friend. I even had a list of projects written down for bouts of writer's block. Nothing like organizing a closet to work through a sticky plot point.

Saturday I got a phone call that put me in a funk, and an email that knocked the wind out of my sails. I decided to take the day off from writing and just read. Just one day. Maybe two.

And then the "snowpocolypse" hit Cape Cod.





My sister came to stay for the duration, wine in hand. We snowshoed through the empty streets, kept the vents clear, baked cookies and pies and breads, played games with the kids, laughed a lot, watched movies, drank wine...

...and did no reading or writing at all.

Now I need to shovel out... and then get back to writing. And it's already Wednesday.

What do you do when life gets in the way of writing? Tips? Tricks? Advice? Any and all words of wisdom welcome.

And now, back to shoveling snow instead of words.


4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Hope you are staying warm. I'm not so much of a writer,(I dabble) but I am a crocheter and we too get blocks. Life does get in the way of our creative side. Sometimes, life has a way of interfering, but in a good way. I usually find that I get some of my best ideas when I am occupied with some of life's other obstacles. Come check out my new blog. It is just getting started and I have a long way to go, but I will get there eventually. Wishing you a wonderfully creative day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Julie. And you're right, ideas can flow while shoveling snow... let's see if I can get them onto a page now ;-)
      Good luck with your new blog! I'll be over to check it out!

      Delete
  2. Those photos are both beautiful and scary. That's a lot of snow all at once. But what a fun upside you gave this potential disaster. Family fun and games and quality time spent with those you love. Everyone will remember, the 'snowpocolypse' for sure!
    Stormee Waters Gives Dirk Savage a Backwash of Trouble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you put it that way, you are so right. Gotta take the time to enjoy life and make memories. Even more important than deadlines sometimes :-)

      Thanks, Lynda!

      Delete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?