Monday, January 3, 2011

It's A Whole New Year!


The tree is gone - the kids are back at school - the holidays are officially OVER!

It's a whole new year - 2011 - and what are we going to do with our shiny new beginning of a shiny new decade?

Do you make new year's resolutions? I try not to. No, really. They never work out and then I end up feeling guilty. I have enough guilt - I'm the mother of teenagers who like to play that card a little too often. Have kids? Then you know, too.

Instead, I like to make wishes. Usually on the Plum Pudding. First when we're stirring it in the fall, then when we light it at Christmas. It's an English thing, apparently, although my English neighbor didn't know she should be wishing on the blue flame at Christmas. I shared the rest of my pudding with her at New Year's, so she could make a New Year's Wish.

Wishes are shiny and hopeful. Not guilt-ridden.

One of my wishes for 2011 is to finish and publish another book. Or two. So I need to write more. Much more. In the last few months, my word output has dwindled to a mere trickle while my screen time has actually increased. Less Facebook, more wordsmithing. My goal is to finish the current W.I.P. by the end of the month, then start editing. Wish me luck!

What are your goals - wishes - resolutions, if you must - for 2011?

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of wishes much better...I stopped making resolutions a long time ago, 'cos like you said, they don't work out and who needs that extra guilt? Now I just have to think of what to wish for....

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD LUCK!! That's a very positive and all around nice way to look at things. My wish is to stay positive and keep moving forward.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?