Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Countdown to the Holidays: Nativity Scenes

Nativity scenes are one of those inevitable parts of the Christmas season. Mine was a gift from my mother a number of years ago. It's a hand-crafted set made entirely of paper - well, except for the stable itself and the sheep. One of my kids made him in a farm program at the Audobon's Drumlin Farm, using real wool they collected on the farm.

I like the simplicity of these paper figures. I know many people have sets made of china or carved from wood. My Great Aunt actually gave me a second set of bone china one year for Christmas. But I prefer this one. It looks at home on the mantle with all the Christmas photos old and new.

The collection of photos is there to remind us that the holidays are about family, across the generations. The creche is supposed to remind us all that Christmas is about more than getting presents.

Do you have a Nativity scene in your home? What does it mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?