Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Countdown to Christmas: Already Got My Gift!

My husband and I just returned from a week away in Mexico... where we sat on the beach for long, uninterrupted stretches and drank margaritas from noon until night. We wiggled our toes in the sand, took advantage of the hotel's spa, and marveled at the blue green waters and shimmering orange sunrises.

The first week in December is not a popular vacation time in Los Cabos, and the resort was practically empty until the very last day of our vacation. Which was fine with us.

And... I finally got to indulge this fantasy I've had for awhile about sitting on an almost empty beach on a lounge chair with an umbrella and a table next to me, while a waiter dressed all in white trudges across a long stretch of sand carrying a tray filled with drinks just for me. And maybe some french fries.

It was awesome.

It was also interesting to watch the resort prepare for the Holidays. Christmas is pretty big in Mexico, and every morning we'd notice new decorations or some new addition to a holiday display - there were decorated trees in every corner and a plethora of poinsettias all over the place. Check back next week when I get my photos organized to share with you...
 
Big thanks go out to my little sister, who came and stayed at my house to take care of the kids and dogs and keep everyone in their busy routines. I couldn't have done it without her and boy I hope she knows how much I love and appreciate her! (Everyone should have a sister as wonderful as mine!)

Going away in December meant I had to get the Christmas cards done early (check), get the tree up and decorated (check, mostly), and get everyone's schedule organized in a binder so that no one missed a lesson or got left standing around at a bus stop... and I guess everything went smoothly.

I missed my daughter's week of basketball tryouts (she made the team) and my son's first high school winterfest with the music department (he says he was a good helper with selling christmas trees) and my older son's first basketball scrimmage (but I was home in time for his first "real" game last night.)

And now I'm home. Back on Cape Cod where the beaches aren't nearly as warm this time of year, and the ocean isn't nearly as blue. I'm already caught up with both emails and work, and now I know I need to get back to my writing. And enjoying the December Holidays in more traditional New England ways than walking barefoot on warm beaches...

The only problem is that now I know there won't be any big gifts for me under the tree on the 25th. I've had my big Christmas gift already. And I'm okay with that. More than okay.

What are you hoping for under your tree? Are you headed somewhere warm to celebrate the holidays?

I recommend Mexico. Especially if there's a waiter with a tray of margaritas.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect Christmas gift! I already have my gift, too. Healthy, happy family that all live nearby so I see them all the time. That's really all I want. I don't need a single other thing. The other gift which we started giving ourselves a few years ago is that in lieu of buying each other a bunch of gifts we draw names at Thanksgiving and each of us buys for just one person - sort of a Secret Santa thing. Then to have some fun, we do a Yankee Swap - the swap item has to be a white elephant sort of item and it's best if it's something you already own. And my last gift to myself is that all I did for decorations was to rescue my fake little tree and sleigh and bring them to the rental, plug them in, and hang wreaths (ready-made from BJ's!)on the doors and I was done! Headed to FL on the 6pm flight Dec 25. Hope all is well with you and your family. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carol!
      We do Secret Santa with my husband's family, which works out well. A Yankee Swap might be a good addition for next year - I'll bring it up!
      Have fun in Florida - and have a wonderful Christmas season!

      Delete
  2. We went to Isla Mujeres for the holidays a few years ago and it was such a nice Xmas present. I felt like we got a pass on all the Christmas craziness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't think the kids will let me forgo any Christmas traditions, as they didn't get to come on vacation with us ;-)

      But I do feel relaxed and ready to enjoy the holidays, rather than stressed. Which is good.

      Happy Holidays, Johanna!

      Delete
  3. You described it so beautifully, I felt like I was there...sort of. I mean, now I want to go!!! Wondering...did it cost an arm and a leg for an entire week? Which resort did you stay at?

    Totally cool to have things covered so well by your sister...and your kids so cooperative. Thank you so much for the inspiration! :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We stayed at the Casa Dorado at the Hilton Los Cabos. Great place - Mexico in general is pretty reasonable for vacation.

      You should totally go - and have fun!

      Happy Holidays!

      Delete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?