Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Chatting with... Author Penelope Marzac

My guest today is author Penelope Marzac, who has a new book just out last week - DADDY WANTED.


Hi, Penelope! Give a brief bio and tell us what kind of books you like to read and write.

I started reading romances as a teenager and became hopelessly hooked on happy endings. A genuine New Jerseyan, I grew up along the shore of Raritan Bay. I became an early childhood educator and married an electrical engineer (from Brooklyn) with an accordion obsession. Together we raised three daughters. (They were all forced to take music lessons. They now claim the worst thing we ever did to them was to take them to organ concerts.)
 
Now retired, I have written romances in several subgenres: inspirationals, contemporaries, historicals and paranormals. Two of my inspirationals won the EPPIE award and one finaled in that contest. My paranormal, Irons In The Fire, was a nominee for Romantic Times Reviewers Choice award. 

I paint seascapes in oils when I’m not writing. Now and then I sing while hubby plays the accordion.


What's your favorite part of being an author?

My favorite part of being an author is the actual writing of the story in my head. It’s so much fun! There are other perks, of course, like sitting in front of the computer in my fuzzy robe and not getting dressed until noon. 

Part of being an author is also promotion. I don’t find that as much fun as writingalthough I do enjoy Facebook and Pinterest, but I have to limit my time in those place or I’ll never get any writing done!


What’s your approach to writing? Do you plot or go with the flow?

I usually start out with the bare bones of a plota brief outline and a character list. I know the main characters quite well before I start and I know the ending. The rest of it gets made up as I go along.


If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why?

I’ve always thought having the power to bi-locate would be rather useful. Nobody does it (except saints) as far as I know but it sure would be a handy superpower. Just imagine, I could be sitting at the computer writing my story AND folding laundry at the same time. I could be in two places at once.


LOL, I think every mom wants that particular superpower!! Now, tell us about your new release!

My latest release is DADDY WANTED. Set in Brooklyn, New York, it’s the story of Grace, a game designer. She wakes up one morning to discover she has lost her job and her roommate is pregnant. Determined to solve both problems, she searches for jobs online and sets up an ad to find a daddy for the child. How hard could it be in a city of eight million people? She soon learns it is both risky and dangerous. She wonders if Russell, who lives downstairs, is a safer bet, but why is he always stalking her? And why is it that the only one who will listen to her is her roommate’s turtle?

Russell, an IT repairman, is going to be the best man for a wedding in Minnesota. He needs a date, but the woman on his arm must be the Perfect Woman. According to his list of specifications, Grace will fit the bill—until he finds a pregnancy test kit box in the garbage. Deciding she’s only a little bit pregnant, he offers her a business deal, an all expenses paid trip to Minnesota with no strings attached. But when Grace insists on bringing her roommate along, Russell is in for a surprise.


Sounds like a really fun read! Okay, if you’re casting the movie of your book, who would you choose to play the main characters?

For the heroine, Grace, I thought Emma Watson with short hair would be perfect. For the hero, I think Seth Green would be great since he looks a bit geeky. 


Where can readers find your books and where can you be found on the web?

Daddy Wanted is being published by Prism Book Group at www.prismbookgroup.com. My website, www.penelopemarzec.com, has a complete list of all my published books, but you can also find the books at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, All Romance Ebooks, and other book distributors.



 Thanks for stopping by to chat and share with us, Penelope!

7 comments:

  1. Katie,

    Thanks so much for the interview. It was fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Penelope, I'd like to be in two places at once too. We have a lot in common. I usually write until about noon and then dress. It's a bad habit for me because I've had visitors drop by. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gay,

      LOL! Yep, I've had visitors drop by, too. I'll have to buy fancier pajamas.

      Delete
  3. great interview! Lovely to meet Penelope and get to know more about her book and her writing habits.
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nutschell,

      Thanks. You can read my blog if you want to know more.

      http://penelopemarzec.blogspot.com

      Delete
  4. I love the bi-location idea. However, I would have to have to ability to be in thousands of places at once before "folding laundry" would make it to the top of my list! Interesting interview. Carlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CH:

      Thousands of places at once is a tall order. :-)

      Folding laundry--though a mundane chore--takes time. I always need more time to write. There never seems to be enough of it.

      Delete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?