Friday, February 13, 2009

triskaidekaphobia is my friend...

Cape Cod Weather Today: Mostly Cloudy, 38 degrees, the gusty winds are mostly gone but it still feels like spring is trying to break into February....

Triskaidekaphobia.

The fear of the number 13.

As in, today is Friday the 13th.

But... as a graduate of Colgate University in upstate New York, the number 13 is now my lucky number. As the legend goes, Colgate was founded by 13 men with 13 dollars in 1819 (okay, they were 6 years late for a real trifecta...) My brother-in-law's birthday is today, right on Friday the 13th. My husband was also born on the 13th of another month, although his mother says she doesn't remember if it was a Friday or not...

So this Friday the 13th should bring luck, and good things. It's at least bringing Valentine parties to my children in their classrooms. And it's bringing my husband home from a week long business trip (only 4 days long, not 13) So maybe it will bring happy portends on other fronts as well. I'm still waiting to hear om a number of agents to see whether they want to read more of my story (maybe there are 13 of them on that list? I should check!) And another wonderful surprise arrived last night while I was at my writing class (only 4 of us showed up, not the usual 13 people) - - my father sent me flowers for Valentine's Day - a baker's dozen bouquet of pink and red tulips (and we all know a bakers count up to lucky 13...)

So get over your fear of Friday the 13th.

It's just a number, people.

And some consider it lucky.

1 comment:

  1. The Query Tracker blog has a great post today with links about this same topic - check it out at
    http://querytracker.blogspot.com/2009/02/weekly-roundup-21309.html

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?