Friday, August 27, 2010

I Love my New E-reader...But...

Earlier this month, my parents gave me a nook for my birthday, the Barnes & Noble e-reader with the color touch screen at the bottom.

So far so good. I love the ease of use. I love that I can sit at B&N and preview books for free. I read a whole short story for free one day while sitting there waiting for one child's guitar lesson to be finished. It was a new Sookie Stackhouse story from Charlaine Harris, part of an anthology I'm thinking I might need to buy... I bought and read the third book of the Millenium trilogy without having to pay hardcover prices or wait for my turn on the library waiting list.

Best of all, I was able to purchase MOCKINGJAY with just a few clicks, no lines no waiting.

But. There are drawbacks.

Halfway through said MOCKINGJAY with Katniss in the midst of battle, while I'm sitting in a parking lot at a soccer field miles and miles from home waiting for son's practice to be over (lots of waiting time in a mom's life).... the nook decided to surprise me.

It summarily informed me that the battery was too low to continue reading.

"Plug me in," the device whined.

And turned itself - and MOCKINGJAY - off.

*sigh*

Paper books never whine about low batteries.

(You can be damn sure I'm fully charging the darn whiny nook before tonight's soccer practice.)

2 comments:

  1. Books also don't need to be turned off when your taking off or landing on an airplane.
    Well, I haven't don't an e-reader yet, but truth be told, I won't say no if someone decides to hand me one as a birthday present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang it all! I hope you pump it up with juice and can finish your book!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?