Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday Reading


Have you noticed this little yellow book everywhere this summer?


I wasn't going to read this series. There were lots of reasons not to, not least of which was how quickly it rocketed to the top of the bestseller lists in both Europe and the U.S.

Yet when my sister left it on my coffee table after her extended 4th of July visit, I couldn't help myself. I stuck it on top of my TBR pile, bypassing the other stories I'd dutifully lined up to read. And I became one of those people on the beach and everywhere else, cracking open the little yellow book.

And it was worth it.

I'll warn you, it's hard to get into at first. I almost gave up, thinking it wasn't summer reading and maybe should wait its turn in the pile until January. I'm glad I persisted. I picked it up on and off during the kids' lessons last week, but really got into it over the weekend and couldn't put it down until I finished it on Monday afternoon.

The intrigue keeps you going, and it's chopped up into enough voices that there are satisfying end points to stick in the bookmark when swimming lessons are over, yet it beckons you back into its clutches. After page 400, it's nearly impossible to put down.

I'm not going to give anything away, because if you haven't read it yet, you know you should. Before the movie comes out (and I have no idea when that is.) The book throws you into the middle of the story, with little set-up or back story at the beginning. Keep reading.

The characters are all flawed but the ones who the author wants you to like end up likable. The Swedish setting is exotic enough but yet familiar. I've heard criticisms that being translated into English has affected the literary flow, but once you get through the initial few chapters it all flows more easily anyway, and I'm assuming now that I know the players, the next two books will be easier to start.

Because I definitely plan on reading the next two books, and completing the "Millennium Trilogy." Maybe this summer... So what have you been reading?

2 comments:

  1. Too funny! I read all 3 of them in a period of 3-4 weeks! I too had a hard time starting the first one - didn't care for all the financial stuff, plus I had a hard time pronouncing the Swedish names and places, thus making it more difficult for me to remember them. But once it got going, it was great! I couldn't put it down. And once I finished, I HAD to read the second one. After that, I HAD to read the 3rd and last one.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny, Pam. I've actually already finished the second book now, too, and am reading the third one as an ebook on my new nook (the waiting list at the library was way too long)

    What's most interesting to me as an author is how he sprinkles in the backstory here and there - I mean, some of the backstory I'm reading now in the third book I would have thought helpful back in book one (and would have been tempted to add in at that point if I was the author.) But it wasn't necessary. Thus it wasn't there. Now it's necessary.

    What's most interesting to me as a reader is the pace and flow. And you're right. Once you get going, you HAVE to read them. You HAVE to know how it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?