Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cape Cod Fall Festivals!

Fall has always been one of my favorite times of the year. The cooler air, the changing leaves, the structure of back-to-school... and on Cape Cod, Fall also heralds the end of crowds, the lowering of prices at the grocery stores, and the return of my ability of making left hand turns when I'm driving.

Fall is also ripe with festivals and fairs all over Cape Cod, the first of which is here in my hometown of Harwich - the Harwich Cranberry Festival. I listed my top 5 favorite fall festivals in the Fall issue of CapeWomenOnline magazine, stretching in time from now through the end of October, as well as stretching the length of the Cape, from Falmouth to Wellfleet. Check out my recommmendations HERE.

For years, Creanberry Fest was a HUGE deal, one of the largest fairs on the Cape, with 500+ crafters and display booths lined up on all the high school fields, as well as midway rides and games and a ginormous display of fireworks. The festival ran into financial troubles after a few tough years of weather and new regulations about fireworks that led to large fines. In the end, the organization that runs the fair was forced to reorganize on a much smaller scale. But it's turned out to be a good thing, in my opinion.

The Cranberry Festival now offer free booths to community organizations, like the Girl Scouts who did free face painting and the cub scouts who sold popcorn. The crafts are all top-notch (up to about 100 this year) and they've added a music component - the Cran Jam - that attracts a fun, family crowd down into the Hollow next to the green in the middle of town.
I had a great time with extended family, and ran into many neighbors and people I know from town whom I haven't seen at all during the crazy days of summer. Definitely fall at its finest.

What's your favorite part of fall?

2 comments:

  1. Festivals are fun, and it seems your weather was perfect. For the artists in their booths, nothing is worse than a cold, drizzly weekend. The venue looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good festival. My favorite part of fall, the smell. There's something crisp in the air and it just makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?