Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Writing Wednesday: Have you heard of Book Gorilla?

In a meeting with my new YA publisher last week, she gave me a to-do list of items to complete and social media sites to investigate. Now, I consider myself fairly competent on the social media front, but I'd never even heard of Book Gorilla.

I spent a chunk of my morning investigating, and it seems to be similar to Book Bub: another free newsletter you can sign up for, indicate your preferences, and they will send you a daily email with all the bargain ebooks that fit your reading needs. It's also different than Book Bub in that it's slightly more interactive for the authors, who can set up author pages and presence on the site.

I signed up. We'll see how it goes. I'm still not sure how I monetize a presence there, but I'm there.

The thing is, there are new social media sites and spots you need to be cropping up all over the place. In March when I participated in a YA round table at a few local schools, I ended up having to create an Instagram account, because I was the only one out of the six of us who didn't have an account. And not because I was the oldest, either.

And then there's my lame Triberr account - I haven't signed on in so long that my feed went inactive. Again. So my Twitter friends/Triberr buddies haven't been tweeting my posts out like they used to, and my blog traffic has definitely fallen off as a result.

How does anyone keep up with it all?

I just want to write. Edit. Sell books. Ebooks and social media make keeping an online presence a necessity. But they take up such a chunk of time that it cuts into actual writing time.

Anyone have ideas as to how to handle this social media pressure to be present? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?