Monday, July 8, 2019

Monday Book Review: RASCAL by Katie McCoy

RASCAL (Rascals, Book One) by Katie McCoy
Published April 2018 by Katie McCoy Books

About the Book:
Emerson Hayes is sexy, arrogant, and has abs that would put a Hemsworth to shame. He's also opening a bar with his buddies right below my apartment. Goodbye, peace and quiet, hello sleepless nights fantasizing about my hot new landlord...

But when my stuffy workplace makes it clear I need a plus-one for our events, I have the perfect way to even the score. Emerson is A+ arm-candy... as long as I can resist taking a bite. Our arrangement is supposed to be just for show, but Emerson is like that fifth shot of tequila: tempting, intoxicating, and liable to leave me flat on my back with my panties around my ankles, begging for more.

Maybe I should stay for just one more round...


The Rascals Series:
Five guys. One bar. And a whole heap of sexy trouble...

#1 Rascal
#2 Wingman
#3 Heartbreaker
#4 Soulmate
#5 Troublemaker

My Take:
I picked up the first book in this series because it's perma-free and sounded like fun. And it is. It's a whole lot of fun - - and of course I got sucked in and bought the other four books in quick succession. All the stories are good ones, but the quality of the editing goes downhill as you go through the series (missing words, mis-spellings, wrong word choices, pronoun and character name mix-ups), so if that sort of thing bothers you you should stop after this first book.

But this first book is a great beach read...

The characters are well-developed, and the meet-cute is adorable - the pair get stuck in an ATM together. Emerson Hayes then turns out to be Alex's landlord, as well as building a bar on the first floor of her building with four of his best friends. During the course of this book, the reader gets to meet those four other hot hunks, as well as Emerson's sister and Alex's best friend. A nice collection of twenty-somethings with varying degrees of issues and problems. And a new bar to open, which brings it's own host of issues and problems.

Each story line is just different enough to keep you reading, and though all of the sex scenes are steamy and very New Adult, they start to sound similar by the last two books like maybe the author did some cut and paste action to get the last few books finished and out the door. But reading the first three stories it all seems fresh and new and well-written.

All written in first person, the chapters switch between the main guy and girl for each story, and let you know whose POV to expect with a tag at the beginning of each chapter. I appreciated that each book kept to just the two POVs, which the author did a good job of differentiating. Every personality was unique. And while you could technically read any one of these as a standalone, the overarching story moves forward with each book as the timeline progresses, so it makes for a more satisfying experience to read them in order if you're going to read them all.

Or you can stop after this first one. Or two. Honestly, they were like potato chips for me and I read them all in a week, not able to stop myself.

If you enjoy first person New Adult romance with a little angst and a whole lotta steam, you should try this book (and series) on for size. Grab a copy on AMAZON


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?