Friday, October 12, 2012

The Power of Facebook

Yesterday I discovered the true power of Facebook.

I was at my computer writing. I really want to finish my current manuscript, but life keeps getting in the way. After my first four cups of coffee (!) I took a Facebook break and posted that I was going to finish writing the darn thing in the next few hours.

2,000 words later, I took another break, (and finished the pot of coffee) and found that more than a dozen people had already clicked "Like" on my post. Not only that, but a bunch more people had left comments of encouragement. People I don't normally talk to about my writing, or whom I haven't seen in years. Yes, a few of my author friends chimed in, because they know how it feels to be that close and just want to finish. But my aunt in Colorado chimed in. An old friend from Vermont who's now a fan of my books. A high school buddy I haven't seen in years.

So I couldn't slouch it off until some other time. I needed to finish it. That day. Because I said I would.

Except... then I had to pick up my son at the bus stop. And organize rides for my daughter to and from rock band rehearsal. And go to other son's away soccer game. And make dinner for everyone. And watch the vice presidential debate.

And it just wasn't finished.

If I hadn't posted my intentions on Facebook, I would've shrugged it off for another day. Probably not today, as the sun is shining and I have a long list of errands. Next week.

But no. I told people. I had to finish.

At 12:05 a.m. I typed the words "The End." I guess technically I failed, as it was already Friday by the time I finished writing. But I hadn't gone to sleep yet so, again, "technically" in my mind, that's still the same day, right?

Thank you, Facebook, for being a good anti-procrastination tool. And thank you to all the friends who clicked Like and left comments, and kept me on track to reach my goal.

It ended up being a pretty good week.

How about you? Do you ever use the power of Facebook for good? (or just for evil time-sucking purposes?) What do you think about using social media to keep your writing goals on track?
* * * * *
DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE GIVEAWAY I'M STILL RUNNING HERE ON THE BLOG - LEAVE A COMMENT ON WEDNESDAY'S GUEST POST BY CONSTANCE PHILLIPS TO WIN EITHER A PAPERBACK COPY OR EBOOK COPY OF HER DEBUT NOVEL, FAIRYPROOF

5 comments:

  1. Actually, yes. I have friends who post their intentions, thoughts, projects on line, Facebook, blogs. I enjoy letting them know I've noticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joanne. Yes, I've cheered other people along in the past, but this was my first time feeling the social media pressure to follow through on a goal.

      NANO WRIMO worked that way for me the one time I participated, but that was a whole month of late nights and stolen moments, not a single day!

      Delete
  2. Katie, Your life sounds so much like mine. Writing almost always seems to get kicked to the back of the line because of other obligations (especially kid-related stuff). Glad you were able to find motivation through FB. I'm afraid to use it as you did b/c then I'll wind up pulling an all-nighter to get things done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Susan! I've thought that when I read your blog as well ;-)
      Would love to meet someday over coffee or drinks and compare lives!

      As for the FB motivation - I promised myself I'd finish this MS over the summer. It didn't happen because I was the only one who *knew* about that promise. Here it is October, so I thought I'd add some social pressure. I'm thrilled that it worked - even if I did have to stay up beyond my bedtime ;-)

      On to the edits!

      Delete
  3. i don't know katie--i go back and forth about facebook and the point of it and the blogging thing---but i am still using both :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?