Monday, April 9, 2012

A to Z Blogfest: The Letter H

The Letter H

In Puppy's alphabet, H could stand for Hallway - she always seems to be lying in the middle of one and blocking the way. But, it also stands for another of her favorite things...
Horseshoe Crabs.

Last year for A to Z, I posted a fun blog (I thought it was fun) about Puppy's love of Horseshoe Crabs... which I've pasted below, in case you missed it the first time around.
* * *
Consider the Humble Horseshoe crab. A creature that's pretty much pre-Historic, any way you want to measure it. None of which matters in the least to my Puppy. She just likes to play with them...

She finds a "good one" along the beach (but believe me, they're all the same) and then teases the other dogs with it... running away, dropping it in the water, scooping it back out, tossing it in the air... you'd think it was a piece of steak the way she guards and Hoards it!

(see the other dog looking at it? and the way Puppy grabs it, protectively?)

She tries to bring them all the way Home, but we tell her the same thing we tell the kids. "Beach things stay at the beach." Except, of course, for sea glass. (that always comes Home.)

Do you have any Horseshoe crab stories to share? Ever seen a Horseshoe crab up close? Ever find one under your dog's bed? Share!

9 comments:

  1. No, but I had a little terrier who would growl and bark at the ocean every time a wave hit. He seriously thought he could take it DOWN. I have this great picture of him running along the wave line without any of his feet touching the ground. (Miss him :0()

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first dog was a Scottie, and yeah, terriers think they're bigger than they are ;-)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...I'm hopping over from the A to Z challenge. Lovely post...good luck with the challenge. I'm a new follower!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to live in Florida when I was a kid. My parents always told me to stay away from the horseshoe crabs because their tails could sting you. So one day, I was playing in the water at the beach, digging for those cute painted clams, when my hands found a weird shaped object. I pulled it up. It was a horseshoe crab! I threw that thing as far as a could, and got out of there really fast! Boy did it scare me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this! Never considered a dog alongside a horseshoe crab before:)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though I am not an animal person, especially dogs...I've enjoyed your posts. They are very clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun to get a puppy's POV in your posts. What a great dog you have. Looks like you could take a nap and use him for a pillow. Maybe he will let you share the hallways. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. how cute! love your puppy being your theme! creative and humorous =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilarious! tHanks, Katie :-p
    I can't imagine my dogz playing with HorsesHoe crabs, maybe because I've never taken them to the ocean (?)... but the way my lab noses and paws at newly discovered bugs makes me think a day at the beach with Puppy would be a fun, intriguing experience for him.
    Happy HorsesHoe Crab Hunting, Puppy!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?