Saturday, April 9, 2011

H is for... Horseshoe Crabs


H is for Horseshoe Crabs...


Consider the Humble Horseshoe crab. A creature that's pretty much pre-Historic, any way you want to measure it. None of which matters in the least to my Puppy. She just likes to play with them...


She finds a "good one" along the beach (but believe me, they're all the same) and then teases the other dogs with it... running away, dropping it in the water, scooping it back out, tossing it in the air... you'd think it was a piece of steak the way she guards and Hoards it!

(see the other dog looking at it? and the way she grabs it, protectively?)


She tries to bring them all the way Home, but we tell her the same thing we tell the kids. "Beach things stay at the beach." Except, of course, for sea glass. (that always comes Home.)

Do you have any Horseshoe crab stories to share? Ever seen a Horseshoe crab up close? Ever find one under your dog's bed? Share!

P.S. (yeah, yeah, not H) I had mentioned in my very first A to Z post that some bloggers were going to be posting poetry for each letter of the alphabet... Check out this A to Z Blogger, Jack Edwards at http://jackedwardspoetry.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great post. I grew up on the Jersey Shore and this brings back so many wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have horseshoe crabs in UK. Interesting beasties, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No horseshoe crabs for us here in the desert. I love that your dog teases other dogs with a horseshoe crab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted a horseshoe crab pic from Assateague Island on my blog about a week ago. They're such strange creatures. Your dog is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved horseshoe crabs as a kid! My grandpa and I would walk the beaches in Florida and study them up close. Don't see them much now that I'm in Ohio!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever seen a horseshoe crab! Love the photos of your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow. Great pics. I haven't seen horseshoe crabs in a long time, used to vacation on the east coast as a kid and see them alot- bringing back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen a horseshoe crab before! My wife loves crabs...eating them, that is!

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures! H could also be for Hilarious. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?