Monday, August 10, 2009

No tears at this send-off...

Cape Cod Weather Today: Sunny, humid, hot and now 82 degrees. I guess it's really August.

We left our daughter at Girl Scout camp yesterday. She's there for the week. By herself. She's 8 years old. She couldn't wait for us to leave, running ahead down the path to get to her unit.

I can't stop thinking about her, wondering what she's up to. I can't wait to hear all her camp stories on Friday when I go to pick her up.

As a parent, we want our kids to exhibit independence, strike out on their own, have their own thoughts and desires. Except, when the reality of independence arrives, it's sometimes hard for the parents to swallow. Harder for me, at least.

Did I want her to get teary when she hugged me good-bye? Well, no, not really. But I wasn't fully prepared for how very casual she was in waving us off. Not waving good-bye, looking at us. But waving us off as she joined in the next activity.

"Bye, mom. Bye dad," she called casually over her shoulder as she sat down at the picnic table and chose through the markers to find her favorite colors. She wanted her nametag to look cool.

I had to settle for a kiss on the top of her head, because she'd already moved on. Which is good.

*sigh*

I can't wait to hear all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?